a lang-ku

Poets post their works-in-progress here for crit and commentary. We want poets who are serious about getting their work published.
Michael (MV)

a lang-ku

#1 Post by Michael (MV) » 28 Jul 2013, 11:47

u
   lifting

out of mo rning

sees sun
She arise

Billy

Re: a lang-ku

#2 Post by Billy » 30 Jul 2013, 00:53

Not sure what to say about this one, Michael. I'm not real good with these short, coded ones, if it is coded. I'm trying to feel an image here, of course, the morning and sunrise and She. Will reread a few times aloud and maybe get back if I can think of anything to say to help.

Michael (MV)

#3 Post by Michael (MV) » 30 Jul 2013, 17:46

Hi Billy,

"lang-ku" a combo of genre "language poetry" and "haiku."

lifting u (you)
out of mourning (morning)
Sunrise

^^ Haiku-like; yet it pivots on the linguistic more than the imagistic

In the early drafting, the 3rd line was a traditional haiku reference: "Sunrise."

In the current appearance, I play with typography to make the reading/viewing lively - the visual projects the sense.

And the 3rd line is a cube:

sees sun
She arise

the order of the words is open for the reader to juggle, to rotate.

^^ Hopefully, an enriching experience - not just the expected haiku experience - more interactive.

These techniques are akin to Language Poetry (Langpo), at least as I understand it, and in service to the haiku aesthetic:

I discovered the early draft had evolved into what I describe as a "lang-ku"

8)

Michael (MV)

Billy wrote:Not sure what to say about this one, Michael. I'm not real good with these short, coded ones, if it is coded. I'm trying to feel an image here, of course, the morning and sunrise and She. Will reread a few times aloud and maybe get back if I can think of anything to say to help.

Billy

#4 Post by Billy » 31 Jul 2013, 00:37

Thanks, Michael, I like it very much and now see what you're doing.