"True Independence"

Poets post their works-in-progress here for crit and commentary. We want poets who are serious about getting their work published.
Michael (MV)

"True Independence"

#1 Post by Michael (MV) » 04 Jul 2014, 10:45

unfeathered
freed from the will

from the burden
of to be or not to be

then vigilant
that's why angels fly

with His sistine breath
beneath the wings

Free at last   Free at last     -- M L K   Jr

CORINADG

Re: "True Independence"

#2 Post by CORINADG » 07 Jul 2014, 20:16

Very interesting poem. I gather this is about death from our chains of life. "Sistine" is religous, referring to the pope. Unless I am wronge? I like it.

meenas17

#3 Post by meenas17 » 14 Jul 2014, 07:25

You are so precise .
Could have been better with a length.
It is like bullet points.
The Hamletian dilemma is expressed .
I feel few more words could have gone into it.
meenas17

franklyfedup

#4 Post by franklyfedup » 28 Jul 2014, 18:50

unfeathered [maybe unfettered is more suitable, unfeathered-uncovered fallen to fall. Unfeathered means angels will fall?]
freed from the will [freed from the will? Freed from the will to sin, i.e. in death]

from the burden
of to be or not to be [Michael often returns to this spiritual cry, to be or not to be. To be what? a Christian?]

then vigilant [beats me, then vigilant]
that's why angels fly [do angels fly? or is it allegorical that they fly?

with His sistine [capital letter] breath [His Sistine breath, God's of course, the painting of Him, only iy is blasphemy to portray an image of God]
beneath the wings

Free at last Free at last -- M L K Jr

Some mixed metaphors here I find, seems to be a statement about the Sistine Chapels painting and then it seems about death. Martin Luther Kings was released from a cycle of sin, women were his weakness apparently, by death. Yet his life's work was in the organising and opposing the evils and cruelty of the racist stance prevalent in the Southern states of America. His victory was to ensure that middle class and educated Americans came to realise that they could not hide from the evils done at that time to serve the memory of that very uncivil war to free the slaves. The slaves were still not free in the 60's in the land of the free, or supposedly land of the free except for blacks, blacks were different (sic). Here Michael show that Christ died to save His people, it had to be a man and yet only God could be that perfect man... an enigma foreign to most people even today 2000 years after the event. martin Luther King was Christ-like but not Christ. He had to be a black man to save his people. A white man could not have done it, freed the blacks from this terrible prejudice.

I don't know if Michael meant to go into all this in the way I have described, but these are the thoughts summed up by the reading of his work.