Operetta Hero

Poets post their works-in-progress here for crit and commentary. We want poets who are serious about getting their work published.
Bernie01

Operetta Hero

#1 Post by Bernie01 » 30 May 2018, 21:38

Sorry not to be your hero,
White shoes and dickie
Like your grandfather,
Steadfast Gibraltar,
A left Bank Notre Dame,
Landing lights always on,
Your Don Juan in spats.

Listening when you speak,
Standing room only
Rave reviews,
Cheering your encore
With my front row ticket;

A Lothario as the curtain falls
And houselights switched off,
Permanent stage direction
Across the heart, eyes shining,
Your third act;
Peaceful Palestinian in Gaza.
Singing opera in duet with you.

IndianaDP

Re: Operetta Hero

#2 Post by IndianaDP » 31 May 2018, 20:12

Hi Bernie, if that’s what it takes to be her hero, I’m out too, she sounds very needy, not open to honest criticism. I like those white shoes and dickie, reminds me of the 70’s. For me I want more.

Bernie01

#3 Post by Bernie01 » 01 Jun 2018, 00:16

I---

much thanks for your comment.

because i talk fast, enjoy telling stories....i had to take myself in hand as my beloved daughter came along...she was content sharing a movie, a live folk music presentation, a walk through a gallery without making critical comments....i learned to not ask did you like that, but rather did you enjoy something.

to this day, as she completes her MA degree---she respects artists of all stripes.

this poem, true, is about girlfriend type companions, and i only object when money is the criteria.

i also have some old fashioned ways, and no one can express a criticism of her father without an immediate challenge....my god, i love that child.

good to see your comment.

bernie

Kenneth2816

#4 Post by Kenneth2816 » 01 Jun 2018, 01:47

Thanks for the elucidation. I caught none of that

FranktheFrank

#5 Post by FranktheFrank » 01 Jun 2018, 10:01

I got it all, every word B. said.
Not that I am particularly bright.
Now the poem emerges from the gloom.
'Peaceful Palestinian in Gaza.'
Seems like an oxymoron.
-----------------------------
Sorry not to be your hero,
White shoes and dickie
Like your grandfather,
Steadfast Gibraltar,
Glad to be like your hero
white shoed, white dickie-bowed,
steadfast in Gibraltar surveying
the fleet.
-----------------------
A left Bank Notre Dame,
Landing lights always on,
Your hero,
Not to keen on repeated 'hero'
and the confusion resides here.
Maybe:
At the left bank by Notre Dame
theatre lights always on
for your performance. (introduces the theatre)

I am old fashioned, dislike this feminist rewrite of the English language
I prefer heroine, a perfectly good word.

Its a bit staccato for me, bit blunted,
compare with your gorgeous Japanese poem that
won 2nd place, it could have been first, even
though I dislike making heroes of Japs.

BobBradshaw

#6 Post by BobBradshaw » 01 Jun 2018, 21:17

Lovely! I love the rhythms, how I am swept along... this is my kind of poetry...the short lines, the humor, the clarity... I will come back to this one many times... I would end the poem with the first stanza

Bernie01

#7 Post by Bernie01 » 01 Jun 2018, 23:40

Frank---

dumped the extra use of that word, hero.

this pom, an experiment.

thanks for singing along.

this line interests me deeply...

'Peaceful Palestinian in Gaza.'

political...can it be poetic?....no idea just now, but thinking.

by the way, here is the L A V A commercial that started it all on American RADIO.

https://www.old-time.com/commercials/So ... econds.mp3

bernie

During the war years, Lava was the soap everyone on the home front should use. Of course, good health was essential for war workers, mothers, housewives, and children. A grim reality was that hands came in contact with various surfaces that not only had dirt, grime, and gunk, but also germs. Since it was imperative to maintain good health during this time, Lava came in handy for washing hands completely clean.

Double Action LavaLava will be remembered on radio for its sponsorship of the popular CBS anthology THE FBI IN PEACE & WAR. On this program, the radio listeners were introduced to Lava's new "jingle." Accompanied with a bass drum, a husky sounding voice sang out "L-A-V-A! L-A-V-A!" It's doubtful this little ditty would ever make the top songs of YOUR HIT PARADE, but then again, Lava didn't sponsor that program, either. It was, however, a memorable jingle.

On a 1953 broadcast of THE FBI IN PEACE & WAR, Lava was put to the test against another brand of soap in the "Lava Wash-up Test." The test consisted of 2 men, 2 sinks with running water, Lava, and the infamous "other soap." One man washed his hands with Lava, and the other man washed his with the other soap. While the 2 men were washing their hands, the announcer exclaimed, "Wow! Look at Lava get that dirt!" This comment was more than interesting because it was a radio commercial. The general rule was when the radio listeners could see with their eyes what they were hearing, it was known as television (pardon me for using the "T" word in a radio article)! Since the planet earth is populated with people with different personalities, there might a remote possibility some radio listeners were washing their own hands with Lava while listening to the commercial. Personally, I can come to 2 different conclusions concerning the announcer's comment. 1.) It was a radio boner, and 2.) The radio commercial was the audio from a television commercial (once again, excuse me for using that word).

If you're wondering, the Lava Wash-up Test went according to Hoyle. The man who used Lava said his hands were clean, while the man who used the other soap said there was still some dirt on his hands and on the towel he used to dry his hands. Once again, Lava prevailed as the best hand soap.

Although Lava was made in a drab gray color, it did have some colorful advertising during radio's golden age--- and it also kept the hands of men, women, and children clean

Bernie01

#8 Post by Bernie01 » 01 Jun 2018, 23:43

Ken---

my shortcoming....

Bob---

a new type pom for me....fun!

Dale---

oh yes...men lounging in white boxers...

bernie

FranktheFrank

#9 Post by FranktheFrank » 02 Jun 2018, 01:06

B.
I enjoyed also the story of your real life,
poetry means we can extend our 'real life'
add or take away, dream it was so
and still make it ours. I have a surrogate
daughter and I get what you say about
admiration and love and being her hero.