Will We Ever Make Our Forest Trips?

Poets post their works-in-progress here for crit and commentary. We want poets who are serious about getting their work published.
SivaRamanathan

#1 Post by SivaRamanathan » 03 May 2020, 19:01

These past four days my dreams have dropped me from the edge of Congress Maidaan. Know well that the Congress Maidaan is a plateau. That lone tusker we saw once turns in a semicircle at the far end. My husband is bending down tying his shoe laces. My daughter yells, ’It is madness to get down from the Bolero. These are wild elephants. I keep my cool. The elephant is walking towards us swaying its trunk as elephants do. I turn in my sleep thinking when it come near I will ask it to keep its distance.
Another recurring dream is the wilderness again, on the untrodden path from the British built Guest House. We do not go forward, instead reverse our jeep. I ask my daughter, did you really, really get the eerie feel of strong spirits? Yes,’ she says, ‘’we have to turn back.’’ My son and the hubby keep mum. I tell her I saw this online magazine open its mouth asking for a wilderness poem. Its mouth was already full with a lot of other people’s drafts.
‘’Never mind,’ ’she says, there are wilderness videos; you can take a Google trip.

Michael (MV)

Re: Will we Ever Make our Forest Trips?

#2 Post by Michael (MV) » 05 May 2020, 19:42

Capitalize We and Our

Michael (MV) an armchair traveler

SivaRamanathan

Re: Will We Ever Make Our Forest Trips?

#3 Post by SivaRamanathan » 05 May 2020, 22:20

An armchair traveller, owing to the Lockdown.

BobBradshaw

#4 Post by BobBradshaw » 07 May 2020, 22:05

I am not sure why, but the more I read this poem, the more I like it. Because I love animals, especially elephants? Because there’s an understated humor I find charming? Because I like the unexpected turn to rejections? Or how we’re thrown back into our modern world, the wilderness just a video or documentary for most of us?

SivaRamanathan

#5 Post by SivaRamanathan » 08 May 2020, 09:20

A plateau is plain level ground.There is no depth where you can fall into.Sometimes I get a jolt in my sleep as if I am falling from the bed.That is why I have said falling from the plateau which is not possible,unless you fall while standing on the ground.
From a distance it is impossible to guage if elephants are wild or tame.
Many native labourers lost their lives while building that particular Guest House for the British.There are no houses nearlby for a radius of half a kilometre.