New York Pitch Reviews, Algonkian Writer Conferences, Poetry

Poets, Writers, Author Salon Reviews, New York Pitch Conference, Algonkian Writer Conferences
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 03:38

All times are UTC + 3 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 02:50 
Site Admin

Please use this forum to complete your review or commentary concerning the New York Pitch Conference. Simply log in and click on "post reply" link.

For review purposes, we are most concerned with what you took away from the event in the way of knowledge and savvy concerning your novel and the market.

Regards,
Michael, Susan, and Paula

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 20:30 

Hi, Michael, Paula and Susan:

To put it simply, the conference totally exceeded my expectations. I still can't believe how much I learned in such a short period of time about how to make my project viable and marketable. For the first time, I understand what high concept means, and what it takes to pitch with success. I certainly didn't perfect the art -- far from it! -- but at least now I'm not completely in the weeds. To walk away with that would have been enough. But then to have the opportunity to interact with editors with, in my case, Michael's incredible support? Talk about validation. I feel like I leapfrogged over the years I would have spent in time-consuming, poorly constructed queries to agents who, understandably, would never have given me the time of day. Now I feel like I have a chance, especially because I will be able to receive continuing guidance through Author Salon.

Although I didn't have the chance to work with all of you, I have to assume you all have the passion Michael has for helping fledging writers like me. I want to thank you for an enormously rewarding experience and for your dedication to the debut novelist.

Warm regards and best wishes for the holidays,
Barbara Hoyt

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 22:03 

The Algonkian pitch conference is the most comprehensive conference focused on how to get a novel published in the current market that I've ever attended. Here are some of its most valuable parts:

1. Ability to pitch real acquisition editors (four of them!) and refine your pitch. This alone is unbelievably useful.
2. The interaction with like-minded peers - seeing what other projects people are working on. Also, this is the best way to form a writing group and help each other moving forward.
3. An insiders view into the publishing world, where it is today, and where its going.

Note: this conference does not focus on craft (nor should it). It helps writers get their work in front of agents and editors, not help you write the next Pulitzer prize winning novel.

Thank you Michael and Paula for a wonderful and unforgettable experience!

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012, 05:47 

The conference was an amazing experience for me. I don't think I would have been able to find a better one that teaches about the market, how to pitch effectively, and then gives me the experience of a lifetime in pitching my novel to editors from renowned publishing houses.
The group leaders are extremely helpful, sincerely wanting to take your ideas to the next level. They always make themselves available for questions.
As for the group, you meet such amazing, aspiring authors all willing to help one another. The networking is great and invaluable.
I am incredibly thankful for attending. When I got home I applied what I learnt and can see improvements with my novel already. I am excited to see what comes next.

Thank you Michael, Paula, and Susan! You rock!

:) H.D

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012, 07:46 

There are several brands of writers conferences, each ideal for authors in a different stage of their career. If you're just barely starting out, if you don't know why 'less is more' is important, for example, then NY Pitch isn't the conference for you. On the other hand, if you've been working hard, and you've finished a manuscript, but are in the process of beating yourself senseless against the brick wall of the publishing world; if you have a folder full of rejections, and a heart that's devoid of hope, sign up. Now.

The conference is driven by one and only one thing: pragmatism. The worst thing you can do for a struggling author is to tell them that everything is alright, that their work is marvelous, and to 'just be patient'. NYPitch is about tough love. The brutal truth is that becoming a successful author is only peripherally about your craft, or even your artistic vision. Authors are, first and foremost, the creators of a product that must be sold. NYPitch is all about teaching us what will sell. You may not like this; it may shock and annoy you; but in order to survive, your book has to a) be high quality and b) be something the publishing world would like to publish. A lot of authors have part (a) down and fail utterly on part (b). NYPitch will teach you how to rule part (b).

As such, it stands alone. I have been to literally dozens of conferences. None, not a single one, provide either the direct access or the honest, no-frills truth about what editors actually want to see. In my opinion, every hopeful writer should attend at least one NYPitch conference.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 18:32 

The NY Pitch conference was an exacting, informative and eye-opening experience. Michael helped me focus on the crux of my novel (for the pitch) and not get distracted by its trappings. The interactive sessions with my group and then the editors truly brought home the point that every stage of getting published had its own procedures and demands. Not enough to imagine a great concept alone-it must be executed well, pitched even better and polished to a brilliance to stand apart.
All in all, I came away with much more than I went in with.
Thank you, Michael, for your wonderful insights. They will always be applied.

-F.Kothari.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2012, 19:28 

The pitch conference ethos to help the author, specifically to help market her/his wares, is everywhere evident. Facilitators, other authors, editors were all encouraging and helpful in practical, applied-side ways. Refreshingly different from dog-eat-dog, anxious, competitive environment that mars some other professional conferences I have experienced.

Top three takeaways:
--A better title. Susan listened to me, paused the conversation at “soldier’s heart” and said, “That’s a good title.” Of course! Thanks, Susan!
--Re-writing the pitch. Gollyosky I am still rewriting the blasted thing. Now I have the eyes to see how to do it.
--Advice to not rush the submission process until the mss and pitch are ready. I know this is good advice. It will be so hard to follow. But I will try.

OK I think my minute's up. Thanks again, Michael, Susan and Paula.

Michele McKnight Baker

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 20:12 

As someone who spent years going the typical query letter route, I found the Algonkian Pitch Conference to be a complete game changer for me. I already understood that it takes years to hone your craft and an exceptional amount of diligence if you actually want to make it in the world of publishing. What I did not realize until the conference was the extent of how unlikely a writer is to land an agent with absolutely no connections. The most valuable things I took away were:

1.) Being able to not only meet editors and agents face-to-face, but for them to really take a few minutes to listen and consider my novel. Now that I know how many queries agents receive each week, I can't even imagine how hard it is for them to fully consider each idea. Meeting them in person and getting one-on-one time with them is like gold.

2.) Meeting other talented writers and being able to form friendships and critique groups. I did not expect it to be such an atmosphere of camaraderie - it far surpassed my expectations.

3.) Getting feedback from industry professionals (and other writers) on what sounds like it clicks in any given story, and what does not. The editing is never done, but I came away with much larger ideas for my book than I would have considered on my own.

Overall an absolutely fantastic experience! I loved every minute of it.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 16:27 

HeatherLeeigh wrote:
As someone who spent years going the typical query letter route, I found the Algonkian Pitch Conference to be a complete game changer for me. I already understood that it takes years to hone your craft and an exceptional amount of diligence if you actually want to make it in the world of publishing. What I did not realize until the conference was the extent of how unlikely a writer is to land an agent with absolutely no connections. The most valuable things I took away were:

1.) Being able to not only meet editors and agents face-to-face, I saw this about the 3 Week Diet and thought of you but for them to really take a few minutes to listen and consider my novel. Now that I know how many queries agents receive each week, I can't even imagine how hard it is for them to fully consider each idea. Meeting them in person and getting one-on-one time with them is like gold.

2.) Meeting other talented writers and being able to form friendships and critique groups. I did not expect it to be such an atmosphere of camaraderie - it far surpassed my expectations.

3.) Getting feedback from industry professionals (and other writers) on what sounds like it clicks in any given story, and what does not. The editing is never done, but I came away with much larger ideas for my book than I would have considered on my own.

Overall an absolutely fantastic experience! I loved every minute of it.

I totally agree with you Heather. It seems in all walks of life it's important to make connections and that's especially true in the publishing world.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2016, 14:41 

mkbaker wrote:
The pitch conference ethos to help the author, specifically to help market her/his wares, is everywhere evident. Facilitators, other authors, editors were all so i found this review of this diet pill called phenq encouraging and helpful in practical, applied-side ways. Refreshingly different from dog-eat-dog, anxious, competitive environment that mars some other professional conferences I have experienced.

OK I think my minute's up. Thanks again, Michael, Susan and Paula.

Michele McKnight Baker

A better title. Susan listened to me, paused the conversation at “soldier’s heart” and said, “That’s a good title.” Of course! Thanks, Susan!
re-writing the pitch. Gollyosky I am still rewriting the blasted thing. Now I have the eyes to see how to do it.
Advice to not rush the submission process until the mss and pitch are ready. I know this is good advice. It will be so hard to follow. But I will try.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 22:47 

Paula,Susan,Michael and Josh:
I cannot thank you enough for all the support, understanding, direction and motivation I received!
I was nervous and unsure of my narrative nonfiction, but now after all the incredible advice and resources,
I'm looking forward to my next step Publishing!! I would also like to thank all the talented writers I met
that guided me throughout my four day journey.
Your's truly, "The tallest girl from Maine"
Tennille

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 02:53 

This is my first conference and I was absolutely delighted. As soon as I walked through the door, my apprehension and anxiety were laid to rest.I felt apart of a community of very professional ,talented, dedicated , artists agents and editors. I felt comfortable in sharing my memoir . I received the most valuable information. The four days were literally the highlight of my summer.I went from an aspiring writer to now being confident , organized and assertive. I able to say that I am a writer and soon to be author. NEw York Pitch conference was the affirmation I was looking for and it's no sugar coating what's so ever... no fluff . It was full of information,guidance and attention both individually and as a group but non biased information and it was catered for every genre . This conference is for any novice and even a season writer to gain direction and become "pitch"perfect.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 21:16 

My experience this past weekend was absolutely amazing. I definitely see my writing in a completely new light. The eye-opening information will prove priceless again and again as I work to hone my craft. I am grateful to have been part of such a transformative event.
-Deb

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 19:57 

Much of the benefit of the conference occurred before the conference, completing the preparatory "Assignments." Those seemingly simple questions about the manuscript were shockingly difficult to answer and demonstrated as nothing else could what it takes to pitch a novel properly.

The conference itself was also a game-changer. Having been to several brutal pitch conferences, I can attest that the agents, editors and workshop leaders at NY Pitch were more than kind. Yet the feedback was honest and helpful. I didn't end up selling anything but I did end up rewriting the manuscript into a stronger form and I revised my query letter into something commercially plausible.

The chance of making it through the slush pile to an agent is very close to zero. The basic deal of this conference is that Michael knows people in publishing and he will introduce you once you have been vetted (willingness to pay up and endure the conference itself being a large part of showing that you're serious about writing and publishing). The agents and editors, for their part, know that their time will not be wasted spending 15 minutes with you on Michael's recommendation. The writer gets a shot at somebody who is actually listening. Everybody wins.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 04:09 

This review is a big THANK YOU to Paula, Michael, Susan, and the rest of the conference team!

Thank you all for an extremely helpful workshop. I started learning with the homework. On arrival, I worried a little that I may be too “literary” for the premises of the conference and recommendations of the workshop leaders and editors, but by the end I could unequivocally say the conference was completely worth the time and money I spent! My pitch got enormously better, I learned more about the publishing process, got one MS request (which I will follow up on later this week), and got a fresh perspective on my first page(s)!

Paula, thanks much, much for running our workshop group in a way that was responsive and wonderfully, constructively candid.

I will keep you updated on any developments.

Meenakshi.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 14:22 

The NY Pitch Conference offers so much it's hard to know where to start. I attended twice! The conference helped me to understand more fully what I was writing about. This clarity helped me to finish writing both of my novels. I also learned to write strong pitches which led to strong queries, which led to agents and editors asking to see the manuscripts. I believe I got my agent because of the work I did at the conference. Susan, Paula and Michael are professional and amazing to work with. And they have so much heart. I'd go back again!

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 09:36 

We went to the conference excited about the idea of pitching our book to editors. But we realized the much more beneficial aspect was the ability to see what our pitch, and therefore book, was lacking. After reworking everything, we have a story that not only generated editor interest, but also one about which we are confident and passionate.

We will forever be grateful to the New York Pitch Conference for making us pump a lot of awesome into our book.

Bill & Karen Burton

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2017, 15:56 

SteveBooth wrote:
There are several brands of writers conferences, each ideal for authors in a different stage of their career. If you're just barely starting out, if you don't know why 'less is more' is important, for example, then NY Pitch isn't the conference for you. On the other hand, if you've been working hard, and you've finished a manuscript, but are in the process of beating yourself senseless against the brick wall of the publishing world; if you have a folder full of rejections, and a heart that's devoid of hope, sign up. Now.

The conference is driven by one and only one thing: pragmatism. The worst thing you can do for a struggling author is to tell them that everything is alright, that their work is marvelous, and to 'just be patient'. NYPitch is about tough love. The brutal truth is that becoming a successful author is only peripherally about your craft, or even your artistic vision. Authors are, first and foremost, the creators of a product that must be sold. NYPitch is all about teaching us what will sell. You may not like this; it may shock and annoy you; but in order to survive, your book has to a) be high quality and b) be something the publishing world would like to publish. A lot of authors have part (a) down and fail utterly on part (b). NYPitch will teach you how to rule part (b).

As such, it stands alone. I have been to literally dozens of conferences. None, not a single one, provide either the direct access or the honest, no-frills truth about what editors actually want to see. In my opinion, every hopeful writer should attend at least one NYPitch conference.

The Algonkian pitch conference is the most comprehensive conference focused on how to get a novel published in the current market that I've ever attended. Here are some of its most valuable parts:

1. Ability to pitch real acquisition editors (four of them!) and refine your pitch. This alone is unbelievably useful.
2. The interaction with like-minded peers - seeing what other projects people are working on. Also, this is the best way to form a writing group and help each other moving forward.
3. An insiders view into the publishing world, where it is today, and where its going.

Note: this conference does not focus on craft (nor should it). It helps writers get their work in front of agents and editors, not help you write the next Pulitzer prize winning novel.

Thank you Michael and Paula for a wonderful and unforgettable experience!