New York Pitch Conference Reviews

Independent interviews, commentary, and reviews concerning the NYC Pitch and Shop Conference.
WritersBlock
Site Admin

New York Pitch Conference Reviews

#1 Post by WritersBlock » 19 Dec 2012, 02:50

:!:
Contracts and Brass Ring Notes at "New York Pitch Conference News" http://newyorkpitchconference.com/pc-news.htm :shock:

"As the better days grew farther apart, I decided maybe there was something wrong with my story that I couldn't see. So, I spent more money that my book wasn't earning on the Algonkian Writer's Conference. The New York Pitch proved the best decision of my fiction writing career..."

Cate Holahan - http://www.cateholahan.com

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ZrCKToyLPL

Short and longer interviews and clips with NYC writers.
__

fdynamo26

Re: New York Pitch Conference Review

#2 Post by fdynamo26 » 20 Dec 2012, 20:30

Hi, Michael, Paula and Susan:

To put it simply, the conference totally exceeded my expectations. I still can't believe how much I learned in such a short period of time about how to make my project viable and marketable. For the first time, I understand what high concept means, and what it takes to pitch with success. I certainly didn't perfect the art -- far from it! -- but at least now I'm not completely in the weeds. To walk away with that would have been enough. But then to have the opportunity to interact with editors with, in my case, Michael's incredible support? Talk about validation. I feel like I leapfrogged over the years I would have spent in time-consuming, poorly constructed queries to agents who, understandably, would never have given me the time of day.

Warm regards and best wishes for the holidays,

Barbara Hoyt

borisglants

#3 Post by borisglants » 20 Dec 2012, 22:03

The Algonkian pitch conference is the most comprehensive conference focused on how to get a novel published in the current market that I've ever attended. Here are some of its most valuable parts:

1. Ability to pitch real acquisition editors (four of them!) and refine your pitch. This alone is unbelievably useful.
2. The interaction with like-minded peers - seeing what other projects people are working on. Also, this is the best way to form a writing group and help each other moving forward.
3. An insiders view into the publishing world, where it is today, and where its going.

Note: this conference does not focus on craft (nor should it). It helps writers get their work in front of agents and editors, not help you write the next Pulitzer prize winning novel.

Thank you Michael and Paula for a wonderful and unforgettable experience!

EDITOR'S NOTE: THE CONFERENCE DOES FOCUS ON DEVELOPMENTAL PLOT TECHNIQUE, CHARACTER ARC, COMPARABLES, TITLE, AND PREMISE CREATION, THEREFORE, "CRAFT" IS PART OF THE PACKAGE. :!: :idea: :!:

____

HollyDucarte

#4 Post by HollyDucarte » 22 Dec 2012, 05:47

The conference was an amazing experience for me. I don't think I would have been able to find a better one that teaches about the market, how to pitch effectively, and then gives me the experience of a lifetime in pitching my novel to editors from renowned publishing houses.
The group leaders are extremely helpful, sincerely wanting to take your ideas to the next level. They always make themselves available for questions.
As for the group, you meet such amazing, aspiring authors all willing to help one another. The networking is great and invaluable.
I am incredibly thankful for attending. When I got home I applied what I learnt and can see improvements with my novel already. I am excited to see what comes next.

Thank you Michael, Paula, and Susan! You rock!

:) H.D

SteveBooth

#5 Post by SteveBooth » 22 Dec 2012, 07:46

There are several brands of writers conferences, each ideal for authors in a different stage of their career. If you're just barely starting out, if you don't know why 'less is more' is important, for example, then NY Pitch isn't the conference for you. On the other hand, if you've been working hard, and you've finished a manuscript, but are in the process of beating yourself senseless against the brick wall of the publishing world; if you have a folder full of rejections, and a heart that's devoid of hope, sign up. Now.

The conference is driven by one and only one thing: pragmatism. The worst thing you can do for a struggling author is to tell them that everything is alright, that their work is marvelous, and to 'just be patient'. NYPitch is about tough love. The brutal truth is that becoming a successful author is only peripherally about your craft, or even your artistic vision. Authors are, first and foremost, the creators of a product that must be sold. NYPitch is all about teaching us what will sell. You may not like this; it may shock and annoy you; but in order to survive, your book has to a) be high quality and b) be something the publishing world would like to publish. A lot of authors have part (a) down and fail utterly on part (b). NYPitch will teach you how to rule part (b).

As such, it stands alone. I have been to literally dozens of conferences. None, not a single one, provide either the direct access or the honest, no-frills truth about what editors actually want to see. In my opinion, every hopeful writer should attend at least one NYPitch conference.

______

FalguniKothari

#6 Post by FalguniKothari » 26 Dec 2012, 18:32

The NY Pitch conference was an exacting, informative and eye-opening experience. Michael helped me focus on the crux of my novel (for the pitch) and not get distracted by its trappings. The interactive sessions with my group and then the editors truly brought home the point that every stage of getting published had its own procedures and demands.

Not enough to imagine a great concept alone-it must be executed well, pitched even better, and polished to brilliance to stand apart.
All in all, I came away with much more than I went in with.

Thank you, Michael, for your wonderful insights. They will always be applied.

-F.Kothari.

mmckbaker

#7 Post by mmckbaker » 31 Dec 2012, 19:28

The pitch conference ethos to help the author, specifically to help market her/his wares, is everywhere evident. Facilitators, other authors, editors were all encouraging and helpful in practical, applied-side ways. Refreshingly different from dog-eat-dog, anxious, competitive environment that mars some other professional conferences I have experienced.

Top three takeaways:
--A better title. Susan listened to me, paused the conversation at “soldier’s heart” and said, “That’s a good title.” Of course! Thanks, Susan!
--Re-writing the pitch (and the novel). Gollyosky I am still rewriting the blasted thing. Now I have the eyes to see how to do it.
--Advice to not rush the submission process until the mss and pitch are ready. I know this is good advice. It will be so hard to follow. But I will try.

OK I think my minute's up. Thanks again, Michael, Susan and Paula.

Michele McKnight Baker

HeatherLeigh

#8 Post by HeatherLeigh » 03 Jan 2013, 20:12

As someone who spent years going the typical query letter route, I found the Algonkian Pitch Conference to be a complete game changer for me. I already understood that it takes years to hone your craft and an exceptional amount of diligence if you actually want to make it in the world of publishing. What I did not realize until the conference was the extent of how unlikely a writer is to land an agent with absolutely no connections. The most valuable things I took away were:

1.) Being able to not only meet editors and agents face-to-face, but for them to really take a few minutes to listen and consider my novel. Now that I know how many queries agents receive each week, I can't even imagine how hard it is for them to fully consider each idea. Meeting them in person and getting one-on-one time with them is like gold.

2.) Meeting other talented writers and being able to form friendships and critique groups. I did not expect it to be such an atmosphere of camaraderie - it far surpassed my expectations.

3.) Getting feedback from industry professionals (and other writers) on my novel, my pitch, what sounds like it clicks in any given story, and what does not. The editing is never done, but I came away with much larger ideas for my book than I would have considered on my own.

Overall an absolutely fantastic experience! I loved every minute of it.

Peyton19

#9 Post by Peyton19 » 20 Dec 2016, 14:41

mkbaker wrote:The pitch conference ethos to help the author, specifically to help market her/his wares, is everywhere evident. Facilitators, other authors, editors were all so i found this review of this diet pill called phenq encouraging and helpful in practical, applied-side ways. Refreshingly different from dog-eat-dog, anxious, competitive environment that mars some other professional conferences I have experienced.

OK I think my minute's up. Thanks again, Michael, Susan and Paula.

Michele McKnight Baker

A better title. Susan listened to me, paused the conversation at “soldier’s heart” and said, “That’s a good title.” Of course! Thanks, Susan!
re-writing the pitch. Gollyosky I am still rewriting the blasted thing. Now I have the eyes to see how to do it.
Advice to not rush the submission process until the mss and pitch are ready. I know this is good advice. It will be so hard to follow. But I will try.

Ginopaolino90069

Gino's Experience at the New York Pitch Conference

#10 Post by Ginopaolino90069 » 28 Jun 2017, 22:14

June 28, 2017

Paula brings such a wealth of knowledge, experience and sparkling intelligence to the New York Pitch Conference. She was always the first to arrive and the last to leave, and she was always generous with her time and energy. I had a great experience.

Thanks again!

Gino Paolino

This is Roger Johns, an alumnus of the September 2015 New York Pitch Conference. Just wanted to let you know that Paula Munier, my group leader from the conference, took me on as a client and negotiated a deal for my book - DARK RIVER - with St. Martins. Announced tonight on Publishers Marketplace. Thanks for a wonderful experience. The conference was superb. I'm spreading the word among my critique groups in Atlanta.

- Roger Johns

Hope all is well! I'm writing to let you know that I signed with Michelle Richter from Fuse Literary as my agent for my debut novel, whom I met and pitched to at your conference! She is lovely and I think we will be a great fit. Just wanted to thank you and keep you in the loop. When it is published, would be happy to write a testimony for the conference or whatnot :)

- Stacy Suaya

When I got home from the New York Pitch Conference last year, I started some pretty fierce revisions on my manuscript based on the feedback I had gotten. I took it from 150,000 words to less than 100,000 over the next few months and entered the Pacific Northwest Writers Association literary contest. I got a call saying I was a finalist and so I decided to attend the PNWA conference that summer, which ended up going very well. Everybody I pitched to requested the full manuscript. I also sent out a new batch of query letters, leveraging the fact I had a couple editor requests from the NY Pitch Conference as well as a first place ribbon from PNWA. So I'm represented now by Katie Reed from the Andrea Hurst Agency!

- Halie Fewkes, signed by Andrea Hurst

Congratulations to you and your staff on an outstanding conference these past few days. I want to also let you know that my Team Leader, Paula Munier, did one heckuva job. Her innate enthusiasm and exhaustive knowledge of the writing and publishing business was a constant source of help and pleasure for all of us on her team for the entire four days.

- Jim Smith, 9/14 Pitch

The Pitch Conference is everything it claims to be and more. Because the conference participants are screened, editors know they are not wasting their time. Each editor I pitched listened carefully, giving suggestions and asking questions that improved my pitch, as well as my novel. My workshop leader followed up, interpreting the editor's feedback to be sure each writer got the most out of the encounter. My novel was requested by four of the five editors I pitched. Tessa Woodward at William Morrow quickly made an offer for it, and Paula Munier, who'd read my first page at the conference, represented me to negotiate a contract. After getting Tessa's notes, I began a significant re-write that will expand and improve my novel more than I ever could have on my own.

Just so you know, I spent five years researching and writing my novel before I went to the Pitch Conference. For the past year, I had been querying agents and submitting to small presses. One agent requested it then didn't even bother to email back to reject it. Two other small presses rejected it and all other agents and presses didn't even reply. I owned a copy of Writer's Market, I had written what I thought was a good pitch, I researched each agent and press so I could tailor my query. Still, nothing was happening.

Attending the Algonkian Pitch Conference was an investment in my career as a writer. For me, it paid off beyond my wildest dreams. No matter what, though, it would have been worth it for what I learned.

- Kim Van Alkemade, signed by Harper Collins

I am a hardened cynic and I will admit the pitch conference won me over. Do NOT attend the conference however if any of the following are true: 1) You have thin skin. Your novel is unlikely the end all and be all of novels. Out of our entire group not a single person didn't need to do a rewrite, and 75 percent had to do massive rewrites.
2) Are too attached to your manuscript. Along with thin skin if you do not think you can make major changes in your manuscript then do not attend. I am adding 2 new villains, scrapping one beloved major character, and changing the setting of my novel.
3) You do not enjoy working in a group. Had I not been selected by publishers, I still would have left happy as I gained a valuable group of people to bounce ideas off of and that share my passion as a writer.

- Christopher Lee / Criminal Defense Attorney

The New York pitch editors, especially Lyssa Keusch and Michelle Richter, were the most helpful professionals I've ever spoken to at a writer conference. Their advice helped me considerably, improved my hook and fortified my plot. After a long and often tiring trek through the world of New York Publishing and literary agents, the reality check worked. Thank you.

- Bonnie Carlins, writer and author

The Algonkian conference was pivotal in moving my career forward. While I went there thinking it was just a really cool way to meet publishing editors, it turned out to be a portal into so many other avenues of the publishing business. Because of the conference, I've signed with the agent of my dreams!

- Dave McMenamin, Signed by Talcott Notch Literary Agency

I wanted to pass along the good news that I signed with Writers House this week, and they'll be representing my novel Tiny Dancer. I'm certain that I would not have gained their attention were it not for the vastly improved pitch I crafted at the NY conference in June. Susan, I remembered that you are with Writers House as well, so I was especially excited to tell you.

Thank you both so much for all of your help and invaluable advice! I couldn't be happier with the results thus far!

- Kelley McNeil, signed by Writers House

None of my progress would have been possible without the kind, honest, and useful criticisms from workshop leader Ann Garvin. She has gone above and beyond her role as group leader to give me helpful feedback on my manuscript, making it immeasurably better. She has a gift for seeing what isn't working and pointing you in the right direction.

My experience with Ann helped me so much, I've been telling my fellow women's fiction authors to attend your workshop with the hope they will benefit from Ann's guidance too.

Thank you,

- Amy Reichert

I was not one of the fortunate individuals to catch an editor's notice. However, my group was very supportive of my work and have been a great help. I learned so much during the coference, and I would like to thank the NYC workshop leaders and my fellow peers and friends for their advice which I take to heart. I went home sulked for a few days, and now I'm back to work, searching for agents, possibly revamping my large 141,000 word MS to a three part series, and further crafting my Query letters basing them on the Pitch.

If not for the Conference, I would not have garnered the experience and knowledge of my mentors and peers. There are not very many opportunities like this in Michigan.

- Sandra Glynn

GOOGLE SEARCH STRING FOR "NEW YORK PITCH CONFERENCE REVIEWS"

https://www.google.com/search?ei=zVJPW9 ... dgrSqGyMkc

TNeilsen

Re: New York Pitch Conference Reviews

#11 Post by TNeilsen » 28 Jun 2017, 22:47

Paula,Susan,Michael and Josh:
I cannot thank you enough for all the support, understanding, direction and motivation I received!
I was nervous and unsure of my narrative nonfiction, but now after all the incredible advice and resources,
I'm looking forward to my next step Publishing!! I would also like to thank all the talented writers I met
that guided me throughout my four day journey.
Your's truly, "The tallest girl from Maine"
Tennille

DianaLea

#12 Post by DianaLea » 29 Jun 2017, 02:53

This is my first conference and I was absolutely delighted. As soon as I walked through the door, my apprehension and anxiety were laid to rest.I felt apart of a community of very professional ,talented, dedicated , artists agents and editors. I felt comfortable in sharing my memoir . I received the most valuable information.

The four days were literally the highlight of my summer.I went from an aspiring writer to now being confident , organized and assertive. I able to say that I am a writer and soon to be author. NEw York Pitch conference was the affirmation I was looking for and it's no sugar coating what's so ever... no fluff .

It was full of information,guidance and attention both individually and as a group but non biased information and it was catered for every genre . This conference is for any novice and even a season writer to gain direction and become "pitch"perfect. :idea:

daplotkin

#13 Post by daplotkin » 29 Jun 2017, 21:16

My experience this past weekend was absolutely amazing. I definitely see my writing in a completely new light. The eye-opening information will prove priceless again and again as I work to hone my craft. I am grateful to have been part of such a transformative event.
-Deb

Billadams

#14 Post by Billadams » 07 Jul 2017, 19:57

Much of the benefit of the conference occurred before the conference, completing the preparatory "Assignments." Those seemingly simple questions about the manuscript were shockingly difficult to answer and demonstrated as nothing else could what it takes to pitch a novel properly.

The conference itself was also a game-changer. Having been to several brutal pitch conferences, I can attest that the agents, editors and workshop leaders at NY Pitch were more than kind. Yet the feedback was honest and helpful. I didn't end up selling anything but I did end up rewriting the manuscript into a stronger form and I revised my query letter into something commercially plausible.

The chance of making it through the slush pile to an agent is very close to zero. The basic deal of this conference is that Michael knows people in publishing and he will introduce you once you have been vetted (willingness to pay up and endure the conference itself being a large part of showing that you're serious about writing and publishing). The agents and editors, for their part, know that their time will not be wasted spending 15 minutes with you on Michael's recommendation. The writer gets a shot at somebody who is actually listening. Everybody wins.

mchakraverti

#15 Post by mchakraverti » 11 Jul 2017, 04:09

This review is a big THANK YOU to Paula, Michael, Susan, and the rest of the conference team!

Thank you all for an extremely helpful workshop. I started learning with the homework. On arrival, I worried a little that I may be too “literary” for the premises of the conference and recommendations of the workshop leaders and editors, but by the end I could unequivocally say the conference was completely worth the time and money I spent! My pitch got enormously better, I learned more about the publishing process, got one MS request (which I will follow up on later this week), and got a fresh perspective on my first page(s)!

Paula, thanks much, much for running our workshop group in a way that was responsive and wonderfully, constructively candid.

I will keep you updated on any developments.

Meenakshi.

CorieAdjmi

#16 Post by CorieAdjmi » 25 Jul 2017, 14:22

The NY Pitch Conference offers so much it's hard to know where to start. I attended twice! The conference helped me to understand more fully what I was writing about. This clarity helped me to finish writing both of my novels. I also learned to write strong pitches which led to strong queries, which led to agents and editors asking to see the manuscripts. I believe I got my agent because of the work I did at the conference. Susan, Paula and Michael are professional and amazing to work with. And they have so much heart. I'd go back again!

billburton

#17 Post by billburton » 08 Aug 2017, 09:36

We went to the conference excited about the idea of pitching our book to editors. But we realized the much more beneficial aspect was the ability to see what our pitch, and therefore book, was lacking. After reworking everything, we have a story that not only generated editor interest, but also one about which we are confident and passionate.

We will forever be grateful to the New York Pitch Conference for making us pump a lot of awesome into our book.

Bill & Karen Burton

stephan231

Re: New York Pitch Conference Review - 12/12

#18 Post by stephan231 » 02 Nov 2017, 15:56

SteveBooth wrote:There are several brands of writers conferences, each ideal for authors in a different stage of their career. If you're just barely starting out, if you don't know why 'less is more' is important, for example, then NY Pitch isn't the conference for you. On the other hand, if you've been working hard, and you've finished a manuscript, but are in the process of beating yourself senseless against the brick wall of the publishing world; if you have a folder full of rejections, and a heart that's devoid of hope, sign up. Now.

The conference is driven by one and only one thing: pragmatism. The worst thing you can do for a struggling author is to tell them that everything is alright, that their work is marvelous, and to 'just be patient'. NYPitch is about tough love. The brutal truth is that becoming a successful author is only peripherally about your craft, or even your artistic vision. Authors are, first and foremost, the creators of a product that must be sold. NYPitch is all about teaching us what will sell. You may not like this; it may shock and annoy you; but in order to survive, your book has to a) be high quality and b) be something the publishing world would like to publish. A lot of authors have part (a) down and fail utterly on part (b). NYPitch will teach you how to rule part (b).

As such, it stands alone. I have been to literally dozens of conferences. None, not a single one, provide either the direct access or the honest, no-frills truth about what editors actually want to see. In my opinion, every hopeful writer should attend at least one NYPitch conference.

The Algonkian pitch conference is the most comprehensive conference focused on how to get a novel published in the current market that I've ever attended. Here are some of its most valuable parts:

1. Ability to pitch real acquisition editors (four of them!) and refine your pitch. This alone is unbelievably useful.
2. The interaction with like-minded peers - seeing what other projects people are working on. Also, this is the best way to form a writing group and help each other moving forward.
3. An insiders view into the publishing world, where it is today, and where its going.

Note: this conference does not focus on craft (nor should it). It helps writers get their work in front of agents and editors, not help you write the next Pulitzer prize winning novel.

Thank you Michael and Paula for a wonderful and unforgettable experience!

WritersBlock
Site Admin

New York Pitch Conference Reviews by Successful Writers, Attendees, and Authors

#19 Post by WritersBlock » 13 Dec 2018, 03:04

________

Contracts and Brass Ring Notes at "Pitch Conference News" - http://newyorkpitchconference.com/pc-news.htm

Hi Susan. I thought I'd check in and let you know the latest. I have signed with agent Julie Gwinn of the Seymour Agency. She was actually one of the first agents I queried last year after the conference but things didn't come to fruition until just the last month... For numerous reasons and numerous times, I have appreciated attending the Pitch conferencer. I continue to be thankful to have attended the conference and for you as our instructor.

- Rebecca Fujikawa
_______

My debut novel TELL ME LIES will be published by Simon & Schuster (Atria Books) on June 12, 2018. The NY Pitch really helped me refine the selling details of my pitch, market position the story with the right genre and comps while also giving me needed query leverage (I had some MS requests from editors/agents I met at the conference) when querying agents at several top agencies, incluing Janklow & Nesbit, who later provided me with great representation.

- Carola Lovering
_______

The weekend I spent at this conference was transformational for me, and one of the best experiences of my life. It challenged my thinking, improved my craft, and helped me as a writer. Best of all, it made me feel like a writer for the first time in my life, and introduced me to a community of fellow writers with whom I am still friends today. If you ever had the desire to write professionally, and if you're willing to hear hard truths and do some serious work, I highly recommend it.

- Ben Keller
_______

I just wanted to share my amazing news with you. I attended your workshop in September '15, and earlier this month, sold my YA novel and a sequel to Delacorte/Random House. I just wanted to say thank you for the great advice and tough critique you and the editors shared with me... I'm incredibly grateful.

- Kelly Coon
_______

Thank you again for an exhilarating experience at the Algonkian Pitch Conference in NYC. I was fortunate enough to have 3 of the 4 editors to whom I pitched ask for more material from me. I followed up on their requests, and, as you recommended, I referred to their interest in my newly-revised query letter to prospective literary agents. Success! I thought I should let you know that today Mark Gottlieb of the Trident Media Group has agreed to act as my agent. I'm delighted, and so excited about taking the next steps towards (I hope) publication. Thank you for helping me embark on this adventure.

- Hilary Llewellyn-Thomas
_______

Although I had a strong manuscript already, the Algonkian Writer Conference played a crucial role in helping me develop commercially viable marketing materials. During the conference, I wrote a much more coherent hook, changed the title of my manuscript, and composed a much more agent-friendly query letter. I also learned how to structure the plot for commercial fiction, which will benefit me in subsequent books. The result? In less than three months, I accepted an offer of representation from Mark Gottlieb, one of the top ten literary agents in my genre, which is fantasy.

- J.P. Gownder
_______

A Plethora of Unique Commentary by Published Authors - http://newyorkpitchconference.com/pc-studentcomment.htm

_______

As the better days grew farther apart, I decided maybe there was something wrong with my story that I couldn't see. So, I spent more money that my book wasn't earning on the Algonkian Writer's Conference. The New York Pitch proved the best decision of my fiction writing career--though it didn't feel that way at first. I was assigned to a small workshop with the woman who would become my agent, Paula Munier. She critiqued our query letters and first pages explaining what sells and what makes industry professionals ship things to the slush pile. Afterward, we had the opportunity to pitch real editors.

My future publisher, then an editor at St. Martin's Press, was first up. He walked into the room and out went all the confidence I'd built up during small group critiques. Here was my version of the Nursery Magic Fairy. I was a velveteen writer and he could make me a real one. My stomach clenched. I felt mildly ill. My underarms were moist despite the blasting air conditioner. My future agent asked who wanted to go first. I volunteered. Better to go before I turned green.

- Cate Holahan
_______

I am writing to thank you for whatever sacrifices you had to make (virgins, volcanoes, first born, fatted calf) to get Paula Munier to guide a group at your March 9-13 Pitch Conference this year! She was wonderful!!!!!! She offered practical, streetwise advice, gentle editing hints, and she was marvelous at encouraging our group to bond and help one another. In addition, she was a workhorse! I figured editors and agents would go out every night and drink themselves silly. Instead, she went back to her hotel room and read and responded to revision after revision of our pitches. She even helped me with my synopsis.

- Carman Curton
_______

The NY Pitch was an amazing experience. A previous Algonkian workshop started me on the journey from writing for myself to writing for commercial markets while Author Salon helped me fine tune my "voice." By the time I hit the NY Pitch, I felt ready and receptive to the coaching I received by the impressive faculty of industry insiders. The results were read requests from every agent and editor who heard my pitch. Ultimately I signed with Talcott Notch Literary.

- Robin Stuart
_______

I attended the NY Pitch Conference in June 2015. The small group format ensured I had the chance to fine-tune my query over several rounds of feedback. Susan Breen was right on the money with advice on the best comps, the genre description for my book, and how to simplify my pitch. Two of three editors I met at the Conference requested the manuscript. After the querying process I had an offer of representation from Writers House, and now a 2-book deal with Kensington Books.

- Sandi Ward
_______

Because of your conference I had 2 editors, one being Tessa Woodward, ask for my MS and/or pages and another forward my info to one of her associate editors at St. Martins. I was able to cross reference that with information on Publishers Marketplace and sent a query to an agent that worked with Tessa Woodward at Harper Collins. I sent her the first 50 pages and she was really excited about my work. She read the rest of it the next day and immediately sent me a contract. She is incredibly passionate about romance and my story. She is currently awaiting an answer from Rose Hillard at St. Martins. She thinks I have a long career ahead of me in romance writing and I am very excited to say the least. Her name is Emily Sylvan Kim and she is with The Prospect Agency.

- Amanda Greenfield
_______

I am now the biggest believer in the New York Pitch Conference. Post-conference, I re-vamped my pitch in keeping with workshop feedback. Also, revised the book to reflect new emphasis. Voila! Immediately I had 18 agents requesting the manuscript and ended up with four offers of representation. I signed with Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon this week, and couldn't be happier. This would not have happened apart from my experience with Susan at the Pitch conference in June. Thanks so much to you both. I am indebted!

- Britt Staton
_______

_______

"Understand, before that I had never taken a writing class, attended a seminar or workshop, I didn't even have a writer's group. The beauty of this conference was that they had editors from major houses coming to listen to our pitches and to give us feedback, and even to ask for our manuscripts if they were interested. And I was one of the lucky ones. Two editors asked to see a partial ... I spent a few days getting my pitch down and getting a list of agents and I began email querying highlighting 'editor interest' in the subject line. I was really lucky."

Sujatha Hampton
_______

Agent Query Dialogue Regarding NY Pitch:

http://agentqueryconnect.com/index.php? ... onference/

"So I took the chance and experienced the miracle of workshop leader and author Susan Breen (whose novel was published as a result of the conference--Ave Susan! Hugs!), as well as the professionalism of the entire New York staff. And as they say at the event, the pitch tail wagged the novel. Due to Susan's expertise, dialogue with the publishers, and the smart prep work prior to the conference, I was able to use the pitch model in all its complexity as a means for improving the rest of the novel, and as a result, it went from being mediocre and nearly hopeless to a gleaming story that editors actually wanted to read! Three publishing house editors asked to see my work, and after edits weeks later I queried at least five agents and received requests for partials and fulls from four of them, having added in the query that actual publishers had asked for my work. That made a huge difference in response. Prior to that I didn't get the time of day, so no more hopelessness."

_______

Underground Book Reviews:

http://www.undergroundbookreviews.com/3 ... raden.html

"What was this conference about? First, I’ll tell you what it’s not about. It’s not about your novel and how cool it is. It’s not about your creativity or how long you’ve struggled to be a writer. It’s about the cold and hard facts of selling ideas. It’s about setting a course to becoming a disciplined, professional writer. Read and heed, brothers and sisters! This is plain-language advice I wished I had before I showed up."

From Susan Breen (five figure deal for women's fiction)

I am the person who sold my novel at the NYC Pitch Conference. I met with an editor from Plume, pitched the idea and she liked it and after several weeks, and rounds of discussion and so forth, she made an offer. Meantime, Michael Neff helped to set me up with my agent, who is a lovely person at Trident Media. So I can honestly say that going to that conference changed my life.

#2 Post

Let me just share my experience here. Before I went to the NYC Pitch, I had been to a number of more traditional conferences--Bread Loaf, Antioch, Writers @ Work and so on. When I saw the ad for NYC Pitch, I had just finished my novel, "The Fiction Class," and I was about to embark on a search for an agent (which is a long story in itself) and I was thinking I would apply to a conference. Then I saw the ad and I liked the fact that it was different than anything I had done. Quite honestly, I was at a point in my career where I thought I needed to do something different. I knew it was a long shot, but I was going to spend the money on one conference or another and I figured it was worth giving it a try. I had met agents before at other conferences, but I liked the directness of this one. The whole purpose was to try and sell my novel; there was no pussy footing around. Also, I just liked the idea of meeting an editor face to face. If you are not in publishing, you just do not run into editors and since these people were the decision makers, I wanted to see what they were like.

Everything turned out so much better than I had dreamed. I did sell my novel--not right at that moment, because there is a process. But I did sell it because I went to NYC Pitch.

Is this conference right for everyone? No. It's intense and it can be devastating. There were a lot of wonderful writers there who did not get signed. I think it's probably a good idea to go to a craft conference first.

From H. Scott Dalton (attendee at NYC Pitch Conference)

Will Lavender and I were in the same small group of 16 writers. Eight of us had manuscripts we pitched requested; none of us received an offer as a direct result of the conference. My own rejection letter said although I am a talented writer, my plot is not very marketable.

Since the conference, three of our group, including Will, have been offered contracts for the books they pitched (I, unfortunately, have not had an offer yet). All three say the coaching they received at the conference helped them shop their books more effectively by tightening and targeting their queries.

For myself, I decided to attend for a few reasons:

It gave me a chance to meet other writers, folks serious about this craft, including some from the Big Bad Industry.

It gave me an opportunity to get a reality check on my writing and my book, and help me figure out how to market it to maximize my chances.

It might get me struck by lightning, get picked up and avoid the frustrating query-and-rejection cycle I'm in now (please note, though, I did not go thinking I was guaranteed a contract).

Hell, it was a chance to go to New York.

As it happens, all but the struck-by-lightning thing worked out. I'm still in contact with several of the folks I met there, one of them Will, and we all continue to learn from each other. Personally, I find it useful to be able to put names and faces to my fellow rookies, and have at least one common experience to look back on. And meeting one-on-one with four real live editors helped me gain a little perspective on this business; the four of them, and all the rest of you, are much more human to me now than before. For me, the conference was worth the price tag. I think most of the other writers in our group would agree.

From Will Lavender (six figure deal for this thriller)

This conference helped me TREMENDOUSLY. Tremendously. I did a few things in New York that were of help: I changed the title of my manuscript after it was clear that our group didn't really care for it, and the title change helped me realize some of the book's themes; I was asked to submit my manuscript to an editor at Penguin (something I put on my query letters); and I tightened my query to the point where I was 90% successful in terms of agents asking for partials or fulls. I also met some good people and some good writers there.

According to their website, three of the writers in the group I was in have made deals. I'm with Shaye Areheart; another writer is with Plume; another is with Knopf. There were 16 in the group. That tells you that, while these writers may not have landed deals with editors during this conference (I didn't; the manuscript was eventually rejected by Penguin), there is some legit talent in the groups you pitch with.

I can only speak for myself: it was well worth the money I paid.

Contracts and Brass Ring Notes at "Pitch Conference News" - http://newyorkpitchconference.com/pc-news.htm

________

GaryGrahamC7

#20 Post by GaryGrahamC7 » 01 Apr 2019, 14:59

First and foremost, Susan Breen was exceptional. The depth of her knowledge about novels blew me away as did her ability to focus in quickly on ways to improve our pitch and novels. I don’t know how she managed to remain enthusiastic, fair, and focused on all our novels for three days. Finally, she was a great advocate for my novel with the editors.

The Pitch Conference was very helpful, especially (surprise) with the pitch. It will also helped me focus on a few areas of my novel to sharpen. I really enjoyed listening to all the workshop participants and learning about their projects. Fortunately, one of the editors asked for 20 pages of my work, which was the high. There were no real lows, but I would have appreciated giving my pitch to a greater diversity of editors.

EliseZollerC7

#21 Post by EliseZollerC7 » 02 Apr 2019, 07:16

It is a rare thing for an outsider to receive information that is truly useful in the world of publishing. After many rejections of my query letter and manuscript with no explanation, this conference was a breath of badly needed fresh air in the room – finally, a useful critique.

I came away with a good sense of what makes a commercially viable book and how I might steer my novel in that direction. I needed to learn how to make it sound compelling in just a few paragraphs and how to separate it from the rest of the books in my genre. I am grateful for Bud and Michael’s willingness to work with me every day as I refined my pitch and reworked parts of the plot line of my novel. Thank you. A glimmer of hope.

My high was having two editors ask for copies of the manuscript.

I recommend this conference to anyone who has been in the dark too long!

StephanieC7Chambers

#22 Post by StephanieC7Chambers » 02 Apr 2019, 19:10

I didn't wash my hair for two days after returning to Dallas. I didn't want to open my suitcase and lose all the sounds, smells, and things that touched me. I didn't want to forget the taste of honest reflection from a pro like Paula. I didn't want to lose a thing.

Best takeaway: there's a lot of talent out there. Break out of the pack.
Novel changes: increase the suspense. You are writing Southern Gothic, sugar.
Learned: the people that fail are the ones who give up.
Publishing houses: every connection created opportunity.
Workshop leader: best conference ever. My leader knows writing, the market, and how to take a group of cats and create an intrigue.

Thank you, Paula Munier. You'll be hearing from this Black Mangrove.

______

KatieWolfC7

#23 Post by KatieWolfC7 » 10 Apr 2019, 02:06

Attending this conference was one of the best decisions I've made in my writing life. Susan was a fantastic workshop leader. She had a ton of knowledge and really helped us perfect our pitches. She was really supportive throughout the whole conference. I think everyone in my small group walked away with a much better pitch and knowledge about the ins and outs of the publishing business. We had actionable next steps to take. And the chance to actually pitch to editors - wow! That was incredible. The fact that 4 editors wanted to see my work gives me a ton of confidence as I work on finding an agent.

The only suggestion I have is related to the editor selection. The opportunity to meet with 4 editors and pitch our work was fantastic, and I know it may be hard to schedule editors that work with different genres. However, there were 4 or 5 people in my group who wrote memoirs, and none of the editors that we met with really worked with memoir. I couldn't help feeling like the memoir writers got the short end of the stick. I'm sure the other information was helpful, and I know they definitely walked away with better pitches, but it seemed slightly unfair to them. Just a suggestion for next time - either try to include editors who deal with memoirs, or perhaps change the wording of the conference pages to let memoir writers know this upfront. Thanks!

______

Editor's Note: memoirs are stories in search of marketing hooks like everything else submitted or pitched to a commercial market, and it's difficult to find one in the average memoir especially when the author is convinced their story is fascinating enough to sell to NYC as is. If the author is not a celebrity, or at least semi-famous, they don't have a chance without a very solid commercial hook. Many editors, even if they don't announce they do memoir, and even if they appear to shy away, will consider it for themselves or their colleagues if the memoir meets the criteria of being marketable.

This is why editors might sometimes appear to "not really work with memoir." :idea:

Regardless, several memoir writers check on the application that they're coming to get an education and a reality check on what they're doing. They certainly receive that, and of course, feelings are bound to be hurt.

TedCooperC7

#24 Post by TedCooperC7 » 16 Apr 2019, 21:56

The editor from St. Martin's gave me her card and asked me to send her fifty pages. The editor from MIRA asked for the full manuscript when I get an agent. And thanks to Paula Munier's brilliant comments and feedback, I know exactly how I need to revise my novel before I send another query or fulfill those requests. If you can get accepted to this conference, do not miss this opportunity.

Thanks again to Paula and Michael!
:)

HavilahGiannettaC7

#25 Post by HavilahGiannettaC7 » 12 May 2019, 16:52

I highly recommend the NYC Pitch Conference! Not only did I receive effective feedback, marketing strategies, and support from writers in similar genres, but the conference also allowed me to gauge how my style and subject matter would be received in a commercial literary environment.
Susan Breen, the author and advocate who led my group, was a godsend! She took time to answer questions thoughtfully and offered creative solutions to hone and polish my pitch.
Susan’s coaching was invaluable in helping me prepare for pitching my memoir to a commercial editor face to face. Thanks to the NYC Pitch Conference and the insights I gained there, part of my manuscript, The Reclamation of Havilah, was requested by an assistant editor at Saint Martin’s Press.