New York Pitch Conference Reviews

Independent interviews, commentary, and reviews concerning the NYC Pitch and Shop Conference.
WritersBlock
Site Admin

Re: New York Pitch Conference Reviews by Successful Writers and Authors

#26 Post by WritersBlock » 28 Jun 2019, 03:18

We went to the conference excited about the idea of pitching our book to editors. But we realized the much more beneficial aspect was the ability to see what our pitch, and therefore book, was lacking. After reworking everything, we have a story that not only generated editor interest, but also one about which we are confident and passionate.

We will forever be grateful to the New York Pitch Conference for making us pump a lot of awesome into our book.

Bill & Karen Burton

MORE NEW YORK PITCH REVIEWS AT http://www.the-writers-block.net/forum/ ... 41&p=34900

LUKEC7BLANCHFORD

Re: New York Pitch Conference Reviews by Successful Writers, Attendees, and Authors

#27 Post by LUKEC7BLANCHFORD » 29 Jun 2019, 08:31

The pitch workshops with Gina were exceptional. My initial pitch strived to present visionary aspects and theme, and then Gina guided me to drive toward the bones of how the underlying narrative worked. Also, she encouraged me to bring out memoir aspects of the narrative, and this gives me a lot of runway to expand the book. So, while I thought my book was done and complete, the pitch method helped me to tune into where an audience response was, and also, new transformative possibilities for bringing in additional materials. I am writing extensively as we speak, lots of new ideas to enrich the book for a more commercial and larger audience. :idea:

Also, it was wonderful to hear everyone else's pitches, just to hear the diversity of story, and to have a sounding board. Everyone was very helpful, supportive, optimistic, and clearly talented, with a lot of promise to their ventures. I am privileged to have been privy to their stories.

Hearing the feedback of the editors was certainly humbling, but essential. I love this pitch method for starting new projects, and it gives me an idea how to vet an approach for a follow-up book.

Thank you Gina, Michael, Paula, the editors, and thank you all my workshop mates.

Somberwoman

Re: New York Pitch Conference Reviews

#28 Post by Somberwoman » 22 Oct 2019, 00:27

The New York Pitch was quite simply the best writer conference I've ever attended based on who I met, the better novel I created, and the knowledge I gained.

SW :|

ADDENDUM:

My comment above was based on the June conference, but I heard from staff that this last one was even better. Faculty confirmed a project that was so high-concept it got signed the very same day by a renowned six-figure-getting film/tv agent named Adam Chromy - https://duotrope.com/listing/25240/adam-chromy
Somber Woman

andrewalexanderE9

#29 Post by andrewalexanderE9 » 17 Dec 2019, 22:36

The New York Pitch Conference clarified what our stories were about. Plotting improves, voice improves, and confidence grows as constructive feedback provides permanent building blocks for the novel. NY Pitch is the “big time,” and if you are serious, don’t pitch to anyone before attending.

The faculty dedicate themselves to the craft and the profession of writing. The publishing editors and agents are smart and hungry for new work.

Andy

SheilaEnglishE9

#30 Post by SheilaEnglishE9 » 18 Dec 2019, 00:02

You have to go in with an open mind and some flexibility. Work hard. Listen harder. This experience wasn't easy. It was, however, effective. I have attended many conferences, but nothing as useful as this one. So many of the people in my group were asked by editors and agents for pages or their manuscript. I was especially excited to be offered a contract on the spot. It was the final day of pitching and I hadn't been asked for anything up until that moment. But, I didn't give up. I didn't give in to the disappointment of not being asked for pages. I worked with Michael Neff to fine-tune my pitch and identify what is really commercially viable and it paid off big time!
Thank you to Michael and his team. I came home with a contract!

RLmacallister

#31 Post by RLmacallister » 18 Dec 2019, 23:33

I haven't posted in a century, but the incredible success of the conference these past several years wasn't always the case. A few chaps and ladies were blessed by the divine with publishing contracts, yes, but like the primordial Earth, a dark age full of meteors and volcanic activity once ruled.

Ahh, yes, I recall it well. There was the disturbed fellow who butted his noggin into the elevator door to relieve his frustration at no one wanting his novel. Then we had the vampire Goth creature who chased Neff into the bathroom and threatened a couple of editors. What else? I'll think on it.

ACTONPIERCEE9

#32 Post by ACTONPIERCEE9 » 19 Dec 2019, 19:02

I got priceless information about what is commercial and if there is a market for my book. This probably saved me four years of my life.
Sincerely,
Acton Pierce (future author ;)

GLORIABACHMANNE9

#33 Post by GLORIABACHMANNE9 » 20 Dec 2019, 05:48

Michael and his great team took me from adolescence in the writing world to adulthood.
I had the pleasure of being with Paula and her group the entire time. By the end of the first day it was like being with family.
The atmosphere was positive, constructive and supportive.

I walked in with a disarray of writing pieces and they were able to help me put them together to complete a cohesive writing picture.

If Michael had a waiting list for his next conference, my name would already be on it.

Leekaplan

#34 Post by Leekaplan » 02 Jan 2020, 20:11

RLmacallister wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 23:33
There was the disturbed fellow who butted his noggin into the elevator door to relieve his frustration at no one wanting his novel. Then we had the vampire Goth creature who chased Neff into the bathroom and threatened a couple of editors. What else? I'll think on it.
I was in the group with Rosemary DiBattista and Loretta Marion. They both were fitted for their brass rings right on the spot. I heard they recently had an alum reunion in NYC with the pitch faculty. Wish I could have been there.

As for crazies, I saw the neurosurgeon who actually walked in on other writer's pitch sessions and demanded an audience with the editor. Everyone told her she didn't have a plot but she wouldn't listen. Too narcissistic!

Regardless, I had a great time at the New York Pitch Conference and learned so much my poor noggin ached for days. :shock: :)

E9LawrenceBurgio

#35 Post by E9LawrenceBurgio » 07 Jan 2020, 20:00

To Michael and Audrey,

Thank you so much for the wonderful experience at the Algonkian Writers December Conference The New York Pitch Conference! Having just recently attended a different writers conference a month prior to The NY Pitch Conference, I was well prepared to receive critical feedback. What I was not expecting was the tremendous amount of work and effort put forth by the Algonkian team and the excellent instruction.

This wasn’t merely reviewing writers book pitches and offering constructive criticism, it was a four-day workshop that identified what a great pitch looks like, and how a great novel is created by a great pitch. I’m sure that most of the attendees, including myself, have struggled with the pitch and query format and its limitations, always wanting to include more than is needed. The conference was an eye-opener on how critical it is to craft a pitch that captures the agents and editors attention, and how failing to do so can send years of hard work on a manuscript into the trash can.

While I cannot express the thanks for all the knowledge I gained from the experience in this letter, I can assure you that I will be returning to the conference in the future! Not only was the education a great experience, but to interact so many aspiring writers and be surrounded by such enthusiasm was fantastic!

Keep Writing!
Very Best Regards
Lawrence Burgio

WritersBlock
Site Admin

#36 Post by WritersBlock » 11 Jan 2020, 01:15

Return to “New York Pitch Conference - Reviews By Successful Writers”